Non Resident Alien

This is a chronicle of my tragi-comic life as a foreigner in the United States. My official status when I started school in 2004, was that of a Non-Resident-Alien and that's where the title of the blog is from. My status has changed to Resident Alien since then. My personal experiences are a unique roller coaster mundane everyday experiences for locals, but unique from the eyes of a foreigner. I started this blog to share some of my experiences beginning my third year living in this country.

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Reflex Action

Ok! How does it help to shut your eyes tight when the car in the next lane lands in a big puddle and splashes all the water on your front windshield? Well! That is exactly what I did this evening on my way back from the airport. It has been pouring all day, and this minivan in the lane next to me landed in a puddle at 35 mph; I was driving alongside, and all of the water splashed on to my windshield. It felt like someone just dumped a big bucket of water on my windshield. Visibility in that instant was zero, compounded by the fact that I shut my eyes tight to prevent the water getting into my eyes :D!! Of course, I opened my eyes right away, but the reaction was simple reflex!! I laugh about it now, but I am also wondering how you can prevent such reflexes. After all, I knew the water would not splash on me, cause I was inside the car with the windows rolled up, nice dry warm and cozy!! I guess its similar reflexes that make us instinctively duck even inside a car when we pass low clearance areas, especially under those hanging clearance indicators at parking garage entrances

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home