Non Resident Alien

This is a chronicle of my tragi-comic life as a foreigner in the United States. My official status when I started school in 2004, was that of a Non-Resident-Alien and that's where the title of the blog is from. My status has changed to Resident Alien since then. My personal experiences are a unique roller coaster mundane everyday experiences for locals, but unique from the eyes of a foreigner. I started this blog to share some of my experiences beginning my third year living in this country.

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Withdrawal Syndrome

I just got back from taking a friend to the airport. The last few days I have been to the airport several times to see people off. Today was no different, the same quietness at home after having talked and laughed non-stop for 24 hours or more. This is the toughest part of life here, connections with people. I have found my life here too busy to make any new meaningful new relationships; while at the same time yearning for the companionship of my younger years. There is just no time outside of school and research to think of hanging out with friends. Every minute I spend away from my dissertation I feel guilty that I am wasting time, and it adds to stresses later. I guess that's the price we pay for ambition. It puts a lot of perspective on my claims that I am not ambitious. I think I lie to myself every time I say I am not.
A friend talked about having spent a third of his life in the US; and a third of your life seems like a lot. But, I have been studying Economics for over a third of my life and will continue to do so the rest of my life. Such magnitudes just put things in perspective. For now, I have no time to wallow in my withdrawal syndrome. I need to quickly snap out and get back to revising my paper so I can call it done sometime in the next two weeks. Thankfully, being practical is something I have learned along the way and I should be at work in the next hour or so. Until then, I shall give way to nostalgia and those silly memories

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home